Auckland Region Traffic Signals Contracts
About Auckland City
Auckland is New Zealand's largest city. Uniquely set between two harbours, amongst 11 extinct volcanoes and numerous islands in the Hauraki Gulf, Auckland is a vibrant cosmopolitan place to live.
With over 30% of the population of the country living within the Great Auckland Metropolitan area, it is the commercial engine room of the country’s economy.
Auckland City is one of seven districts that make up Metropolitan Auckland, stretching from Warkworth in the north, 120 km across the Auckland isthmus to Papakura and Pukekohe in the south.
Over the past four years, the Auckland City Council has undertaken a number of city street upgrade projects that have included new or improved traffic signals.
Examples of these where we have provided services include:
- Queen St – the principal street through the Central Business District
- Fanshawe St – a principal arterial access road with very high traffic density
- Central Connector – a bus-priority route from the city centre to a series of secondary business and shopping suburbs.
We installed new and upgraded traffic signals to approximately 30 intersections through the course of these projects.
The scope of our work included:
- Design, manufacture, supply and installation of signal masts and mast arms, including some innovative joint-use traffic signal/street light poles
- Assembly and installation of traffic signal controllers
- Supply and installation of traffic signals lanterns
- Development, installation and integration of a new Pedestrian Countdown Timer lantern for the Queen St project (see separate case study for this)
- Configuration of intersection personality and integration with SCATS, the traffic signals control system
- Integration with Auckland’s Traffic Management Unit, TMU
- Maintenance services for 12 months after commissioning